House Title Transfer

Attorneys Real Estate Group

We Handle Real Estate Contracts, Builder Disputes, Failure To Disclose & More..

“Residents of California can get title records for any property they own at any county recorder in the state. The records are public records that anyone can access. Detailed abstracts of title records remain, which show transfers and encumbrances of the property.”

Contact Us For A Free, Over The Phone Consultation

It’ll Be A Helpful Discussion With An Attorney

House Title Transfer

A transfer deed transfers title to the property when it is documented. A transfer deed can take three forms: a grant deed, a quitclaim deed, or a warranty deed, regardless of the circumstances surrounding your real estate house title transfer needs. Attorney Real Estate Group provides tailored and customized solutions.


What is a title transfer?

A deed is an instrument we use to transfer real estate ownership. Your circumstances will dictate which type of deed you need. The types of acts used to transfer property. Include grant deeds, warranty deeds, quitclaim deeds, gift deeds, and fiduciary deeds. Deeds of property serve different purposes.


What are California real property Deeds?

California uses two kinds of deeds to transfer land ownership: grant deeds and quitclaim deeds. Several other names we can use to identify grant deeds.

Or quitclaim deeds according to the circumstances. Such as warranty deeds, Interspousal deeds, and trust transfer deeds. Interspousal deeds are grant deeds used in divorces or when a spouse puts on a grant after marriage. California deeds can have a broad range of uses and names, including the following:


·        Grant Deed

Grant deeds reveal the amount of interest the owner of the property. They also signify the ownership change. Additionally, the California grant deed guarantees the purchaser/grantee is owned. No one else has acquired the title, and there are no hidden owners or easements. A grant deed is also proper when real estate transfers to a living trust.


·        Gift Deed

A gift deed conveys ownership of fundamental property rights to another person or organization by granting it to them as gifts. The grant deed is different from a typical grant deed. Because it states that the grantor did NOT receive any money in exchange for the transfer. The gifted property owner must also file a federal income tax return upon receiving the gift.


·        Fiduciary Deed

Deeds executed by fiduciaries are particular kinds of grant deeds performed on behalf of others. Fiduciary acts as a trustee, guardian, conservator, etc. An appointed fiduciary can sign and transfer interests in real property owned by the party that set them.


·        Quitclaim Deed

California allows grantors to use quitclaim deeds for unrecorded and recorded interests in real estate. Moreover, the grantor may only have a “potential” ownership interest in the property. The names of these parties may or may not appear in an earlier recorded deed. Quitclaim deeds convey property to a grantee without any warranty or guarantee on the part of the grantor.

The purpose of a quitclaim deed is usually to release unrecorded interest in real property. Clear a cloud over the title to the property. Or transfer ownership of real property between spouses. Quitclaim deeds are usually not used when someone exchanges money or sells property when transferring ownership.


·        After Deeds: the new title

The grantor must choose a property deed appropriate for the new property owners and decide what title they will hold. A sole owner can hold title to real estate and tenants in common with other owners. A trustee of a trust can hold the title, and joint tenants can have the title. And survivors can control community property.


What is the process of transferring property title?

How to transfer property title to family member in California? A property deed can transfer California real estate titles. After selecting the right type for your transaction, we can complete the deed at the county recorder’s office.

Select your deed. We can divide deeds of property into four types. To transfer a title, the first step is to determine which one to use—deeds with general or special warranties that protect a buyer from claims.

We can use a quitclaim deed to transfer ownership from more than one owner to one owner. The gift deed is a legal document that transfers ownership without payment. Fiduciary deeds are when a second party decides to sell the property to someone who cannot do it themselves. You can access easy-to-complete forms online or at most office supply stores for a small fee. Complete the address and name of the current owner and the person receiving the property.

We can mention grantors as grantors – or donors in the case of gift deeds – and grantees as recipients. Include a copy of the current title and description of the property besides the legal address. Complete the forms. Deeds that are incomplete or incorrect can voidable. Describe the California title transfer terms.

With warranty and fiduciary deeds, the grantee and grantor will exchange money during the property sale. It is necessary to declare and tax this amount. There is no need for quitclaim deeds to include monetary transactions. Usually, gift deeds do not have any financial consideration, so the terms are mere “with love and affection.”


Ensure that the deed’s terms are clear.

Grantees usually receive ownership rights forever from their grantors. Only a special warranty deed is an exception. The guarantee of a warranty deed is not only guaranteed that there will be no claims against the property for some time after the transfer of the property title.

Extraordinary warranty deeds protect grantees from claims against property only dated from when the grantor owned it as opposed to general warranty deeds that cover the grantee “forever.” The deed should be signed three times in the presence of a notary public. Make sure you use blue ink when writing. The county recorder’s office requires blue ink. Two witnesses must be at the signing, and both parties must sign the copies.

As a witness, the notary may be called upon. During a gift deed, all witnesses must be “disinterested parties. This means that spouses, in-laws, and other family members may not testify. Your local county recorder’s office will accept the deed for recording if you pay a small recording fee. For example, San Francisco charges $15 per page and $3 for each page. We will pay a transfer tax if applicable at the recording time. A website for the county recorder provides details.


House Title Transfer in separation & divorce circumstances

After receiving all required documents, your Real Estate Lawyer will prepare the documentation needed to complete the transaction. Separation agreements or court orders are necessary if you break up under common law or matrimonial circumstances.

Whether the current owners are common-law partners who are separating. A separation agreement or court order has already separated from each other. Suppose the conveyance of transfer results from a written agreement or court order between the parties. The transfer is exempt from Land Transfers Tax.

We can calculate the consideration value by adding the amount outstanding due to encumbrances to the given consideration. Land transfer is waived in divorce and separation cases governed by a court order. Land transfer taxes are not required when a spouse gives ground to another.


Transfers between spouses

The deed transfer California tax applies to transfers among former spouses unless an exemption applies. It is exempt if both spouses live together and the transfer is made out of love and affection for each other.


House Title Transfer amongst trustees & nominees

Trustees can avoid paying land transfer tax by transferring the land to the beneficiaries. Land transactions take place without any consideration:

  • A transfer to the trustee of the beneficiary owner. If the beneficial owner wants to create the nominee title-holder relationship by transferring a legal title.
  • Trustee to trustee: One nominee titleholder transfers legal title to another titleholder, the beneficial owner.
  • Trustee to beneficial owner: During this scenario, the nominee titleholder and the beneficial owner become the legal titleholder.
  • The transferee and transferor must both sign a supplementary affidavit in these circumstances. Furthermore, according to the affidavit, we cannot determine market value since the consideration value is nil.
  • The statement consummates for each registered transfer in the above situations.


How to transfer property title to family member?

In the complex world of real property, transferring title deeds to the property from the first owner to the family members is a significant issue. This blog will serve as an overview, delving into the complicated process of transferring properties between relatives and providing information on essential aspects such as mortgages, legal documents, and tax implications. 

We will also explore the inheritance and legacy of a family member as well as capital gains and gift tax. This is the complete guide for transferring the title of an individual in the family.


How should I title my house?

Answering this question depends on whether you’re married, single, in a partnership, or planning to purchase a house with a partner. There are various options for buyers with multiple partners to title their home. However, single buyers have only one option. While the distinction between one or. The unmarried title needs to be clarified. The following explanation clarifies any confusion. 


Survivorship applications

In California, the right of survivorship establishes the sole ownership of the house to the surviving spouse or partner once the other partner dies. The same principle applies to joint tenancies as well. In this case, the surviving joint tenant becomes the sole owner if one of the joint tenants dies.

This rule applies unless the deceased used the house as a marital house with another person. The deceased partner’s name needs to finish from the title.


House Title Transfer procedures

How to get a title for a house? You will need to fill out the legal address of the property where the change of ownership is taking place to complete the transfer deed. There is more to a lesson than a physical one. We can get legal addresses from title companies. Legal lectures include tracts, maps, books, and pages for parcels.



Furthermore, the deed should specify the recipient’s full name and how the title will be held. A conveyance should read “at this moment transfers to John Smith, a single man” if you are conveying title to him and he is to hold title by himself. Individuals can change how they hold titles by granting themselves correct vesting—the right to separate and only property changes when a single man becomes married.


Having a notary public is essential.

After signing the deed before a notary public, you must record it at the county recorder. If the property is situated in a county with a writer. To be enforceable, you must register the deed. Some can provide public notice of the transfer by recording the document. The original copy is sent to the new owner. The notary public requires a thumbprint if you change or convey a title in California. This measure prevents fraudulent transfers.


Considerations about House Title Transfer

The county may return the deed by mail after you take the original to the county recorder. Request a certified copy instead. The owners of record and how the title is held can be shown on a property profile prepared by a title company if you wish to track the disposition of ownership in the future.

The Civil Code of California defines community property as property owned by couples. Joint tenants are those who own property and who have rights of survivorship under the California Civil Code. Title changes have significant legal implications, and you should seek legal advice before signing the transfer deed.


What is Deed transfer requirements?

How to transfer house title? You will need the legal address of the property to transfer and the full name and vesting of the recipient to complete a transfer deed. Additionally, you will have to file a preliminary change-of-ownership form with the county that owns the property. Legal addresses are tracts, maps, books, and page descriptions.

Any county recorder’s website will have this information. Title companies also provide legal definitions of addresses. Vesting describes how a person holds a title to something. A single entity or an individual may have tags for many entities or individuals. Authorities can control Identification in various ways: by one person, two people, or three. The vesting can have significant tax and estate implications upon selling the property.


The implications of the transfer of title real estate

Property transfers must be the filing of a preliminary change of ownership form. California may impose a documentary transfer tax of $1.10 per thousand depending on the property’s price at the transfer time. Families can change title of house between family members or change the name of a property and maintain the same percentage of ownership. The property tax may be affected if the property assessment value changes due to ownership change.


Aspects to consider

If a property’s documentation and information are correct, anyone can perform a change of ownership transfer. Title companies’ websites usually have transfer deeds available online. A notary’s thumbprint must be placed in the journal for each transfer deed notarized in California. Fraud can be prevented during the title transfer.


Our role in helping

The experienced real estate lawyers at Attorney Real Estate Group provide tailored services. And customized solutions for each of your circumstances about House Title Transfer. For a no-obligation free consultation, contact our Sacramento Real Estate Lawyers today.

Let us show you the quality of our representation and the personalized care we give our clients as part of our commitment to achieving successful outcomes for you. We ensure prompt communication and a professional attitude.

Alec Stroup

ALEC STROUP Associate Attorney  Roseville Office  1-866-471-6981  Alec...

Hedy Ghavidel

HEDY GHAVIDEL Managing Attorney  Roseville Office  1-866-471-6981  Bio...